Of all the animals of prey, man is the only sociable one.
Every one of us preys upon his neighbour, and yet we herd together.
The Beggar's Opera: John Gay

Friday 2 November 2012

Denis MacShane - the musical


Well, it's been a while since we had one of these...




I think I did it again.
Asked you to believe
My tale of expense,
Oh baby;
The BBC's in a rush,
To make it seem that it's serious,
But to fall through my expenses,
Can you really do this to me?

Oops! ... I did it again.
I filed the receipts
And put in two claims
For the same laptop, baby.
Oops!... You think I'm a fraud
But it’s all above board...
I'm mostly innocent.

You see my problem is this:
I've claimed, in a way,
Things I suppose technically didn’t exist
But was it too much to pay?
Can't you see I oppose fascism every day?
And this trawl through my expenses;
That was done for the BNP!

Oops! ... I did it again.
And right from the start
Got lost in the game.
Oh, baby, baby.
Oops!... I'm not really a fraud,
Ed, please keep me on board!
I'm mostly innocent.


(In case anyone thinks I was amazingly quick off the mark with this mirth-inducing story, I should admit that it's an updating of a previous piece which just happened to suit rather well...)

4 comments:

  1. I get Max news via email. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - it was your posts that introduced me to Max Raabe in the first place.

    (This produced a very happy coincidence indeed; I currently have a pupil studying Brecht's theatre and a visit to Youtube turned up Max Raabe presenting an excellent German documentary on the subject.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8jXiMl4kXM

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is on as I’m having some technical difficulties with Comments