Of all the animals of prey, man is the only sociable one.
Every one of us preys upon his neighbour, and yet we herd together.
The Beggar's Opera: John Gay

Wednesday 2 May 2012

Quote of the day - bizarre tattoo edition

It's been a while since we had a tattoo story here at the Tavern, although the phenomenon of wearing your heart on your skin rather than your sleeve continues to exert the fascination of the completely incomprehensible.

Some, however, are more incomprehensible than most*:  this is from one Danielle Power, 27, a nurse and part-time model from Romford, quoted in the Independent:

"I'm constantly updating my tattoos; I tend to go in every couple of months. My left arm is covered in roses, and I've got an owl and a ball of wool on my chest – I'm really into arts and crafts."

You don't say!


*The same, of course, could apply to the teenager who now proudly sports a likeness of Boris Johnson on his left thigh - so far beyond boggling that I couldn't think of anything sensible to say about it at the time.

2 comments:

  1. "so far beyond boggling that I couldn't think of anything sensible to say about it at the time."

    Well I've visited this post a couple of times and I'm baffled. Surely even Boris himself would cringe - just a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is, of course, the possibility that it's all a publicity stunt.

    You may remember some years ago the media queuing up to deride a young woman who had Kelly Holmes' name mis-spelt in a large tattoo on her back.

    Months later, it turned out that it was a fake. The girl had been part of a year-long TV experiment in which she had to try to become world famous; she (or her handlers) calculated - rightly - that a mis-spelt tattoo would be picked up by the global media.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is on as I’m having some technical difficulties with Comments