Of all the animals of prey, man is the only sociable one.
Every one of us preys upon his neighbour, and yet we herd together.
The Beggar's Opera: John Gay

Friday 10 June 2011

Quarantine

Things have been a bit quiet round here thanks to a nasty little virus. I'm working on borrowed laptops at present, and operating with a super-fussy filter system until it's all been traced and sorted.

It's uncannily like having a Victorian maiden aunt following me round everywhere so I'm having to be most circumspect in my surfing - she doesn't like some of you at all!

Meanwhile, something odd is happening with my Blogger account; I am well aware that should I invite all my regular and valued readers to a jolly reunion, we could comfortably fit into the waiting room of Colwyn Bay station and leave plenty of room for passing travellers.

Blogger insists otherwise, claiming hundreds of phantom visitors are calling in every day, despite the evidence of an independent counter. It looks as if there is a ghost in the machine - or rather a whole crowd of them - so I think the time may have come to switch identities, or at least blogs.

This may take some time but keep an eye out for me - I'll be back.

9 comments:

  1. What do you mean about the visitors? My page views have pretty much doubled in the past three days. I though I was finally doing something right but I couldn't figure out what.
    Now you have me concerned that something untoward is going on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Statcounter says 16 visitors this evening, Blogger stats insists 176 - a total mystery - including visits via links published in 2009.

    I've had similar anomalies before but never on this scale; I was kind of hoping someone might tell me what's going on.

    Of course the problem may be with blogger, but I'm going to have to have a major rethink in any case becasue of the virus - that's not from Blogger, afaik, it came in via a bogus university astronomy dept website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit. That's exactly whats happening with mine. I don't have a separate stat counter but old posts are starting to show up on the Google one.

    It can't be the virus then if we're both getting it.

    I had a nasty virus off a fake drumming website about a month ago. The virus scan kept deleting it but it would replicate itself many times each time it was removed. Eventually the scanner was reporting hundreds of viruses. I had to do a clean reinstall but I kept my system drivers on a usb stick. The virus survived with them and the whole thing started all over again. It took days to get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry about it. My page views are about 300 in the last week.

    Not bad considering it is supossed to be a closed site, not open for ANY views except myself. And I KNOW I have not visited 300 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How strange! Something's definitely up with Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry, its just Them out there who nobody knows. Perhaps you mentioned something that all the security services in the world lock on to automatically, like Dorset Blue Vinney cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Call me cynical, but all this appeared to start on the same day the news of trouble between Google and.....was it Yoohoo? When that news broke, any way.

    Yahoo spiking Google?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe there re just hundreds of visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's one of your phantom visitors.

    ReplyDelete

Moderation is on as I’m having some technical difficulties with Comments